24 Jun 5 skills every leader must have
What does it mean to be a leader in business today?
What skills do we need to develop to ensure we are bringing our best selves to work?
In order to thrive at work & in life we need to be aware of our mindset & moderate our behaviour so we continue to transform ourselves & our teams.
Like most things in life, leadership is a journey. If we’re willing to spend time reflecting on our leadership style & being humble enough to do the work on ourselves, we can inspire others to do the same.
Here are 5 skills every leader needs to thrive in the modern workplace:
- Mindfulness. Mindfulness has become a bit of a buzzword lately, but what does it mean to be mindful? Mindfulness means having self-awareness. It means being aware of the impact our words & actions have on other people. It means regulating our emotions & cultivating consciousness
- Energy. In my opinion, managing our energy is the single most important thing we need to do to be an effective, engaged leader. With so many demands on our attention, we need to manage our energy & focus our attention on the right things. We need to minimise distractions, set boundaries & be disciplined about how we spend our time. Do you waste precious morning energy checking emails & social media? Do you batch your work or skip from one task to the next in a constant state of distraction? If you find yourself mentally wrecked bu the end of every day, take an energy audit. Then commit to one change.
- Growth Mindset. A growth (learner) oriented mindset means we have a desire to learn & are not afraid of making mistakes. We embrace challenges, see effort as the path to mastery, learn from criticism & find others success inspiring rather than intimidating.
- Develop People. Take a coach approach with your teams. Ask rather than tell. Use feedback effectively. Communicate with clarity & consistency. Set clear expectations & lead with purpose, kindness, respect & compassion.
- Create & Innovate. All businesses today demand continual innovation. We have to achieve more with less resources. Budgets are getting tighter & revenue targets are getting higher. Competition is fierce. To be creative we must carve out space to think. You can’t innovate when you’re stressed, tired & stretched to the limit. This ties into #2 – energy management. Our brains can’t create if they’re tired. Find a tool that works for you & practice it every day. It could be 15 minutes of quiet time in the morning, before everyone else wakes up – just 15 minutes with no social media, no newsfeed scrolls, no email checking. It could be a 10 minute walk during the day. Leave the office & clear your head. It could be cultivating a meditation practice. Find one thing that you enjoy & do it every day. You’ll be amazed at the difference it will make.